« from the dr. seuss garden (and as a reminder to me for another experiment) | Main | delivered for Miss W »

making my own mustard

The boyos got to talking about fermentation.  The boyos are just an interesting combination of men of all ages and ideas.  Three and a half to almost sixty.  The ideas just seem to go all over the place.  That is how fermentation came up.  And I presented recipes. 

I started with mustard.  After putting it together, I had to ask why we have ever bought mustard.  A blender is helpful.  I would not wish to make this with a pestle and mortar but it possible.  I like the modern convenience of blender. And I know exactly went into this mustard.  No allergy or sensitivity concerns.  The oldest of the boyos was tempted to sit down and just eat the jar for dinner.

Yes.  They are an interesting bunch.

This mustard is a Bavarian style and slightly sweet.  It goes well with all the different sausages.

Bavarian-style Sweet Mustard

Note:  I used the recipe from Taproot magazine, Issue 10.  I substituted a bit because I did not wish to special order.

1 cup filtered water that has sat for about open for about an hour or more.

1/2 teaspoon whole cloves

1/2 teaspoon whole allspice

3/8 cup yellow mustard seeds

1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) brown mustard seeds

1/2 large yellow sweet onion, peeled and chopped coarsely

2 teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons honey or to taste

1 pint jar plus a 1/2 cup jar is what I used for fermentation.

In a small saucepan, put the water, cloves, and allspice.  Bring to a boil.  Let boil one minute.  Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.  Strain out the spices.

In a blender bowl, put the onion, mustard seeds, salt, and infused water.  Blend this for about ten minutes.  Yes, ten minutes.  The mustard will start out thin, but as the onion breaks down and the mustard seeds start to break up, the mustard will thicken to a spreading consistency.

Spoon the mustard into a pint jar, making sure there are no air pockets.  I had a large onion, so I also needed the 1/2 cup jar.  Cover with a lid and tighten.  Let sit on the counter for three days to ferment.

After three days, mix in the honey.  Without a little bit of sweet, this mustard bites back.  That might be the goal though so use what tastes right to you.  Also, do not be surprised if there is a bit of pop when you open the jar.  That is the yeastie beasties at work.

Store in the refrigerator unless you have a gang of boyos who eat things like this straight . . .

We are off to the races tomorrow.  I am experimenting with a sour cherry walnut rye.  I wonder how this will taste on that.

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments (2)

That looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

August 4, 2015 | Unregistered Commentertonia

The boyos think it is pretty fabulous!

August 12, 2015 | Registered Commenterelizabeyta

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>